Monday, August 27, 2012

Arsenal fans: How bad does this hurt?





Via ESPNFC-New Barcelona signing Alex Song has laid bare his frustration at Arsenal's decision to repeatedly postpone his contract talks - but insists he never wanted to leave the club.

Song made the move to Barcelona earlier this month for a reported fee of £15 million, with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger subsequently suggesting the Cameroon international had expressed a desire to move to Spain.

However, Song - who played 46 times for Arsenal last season - is adamant all he wanted was a new long-term deal at Emirates Stadium. He has also been frustrated by reports suggesting he took a lax attitude to training.

"I woke up and read those things in the paper and was really surprised and disappointed. I love Arsenal, I never wanted to leave," Song told the Sun on Sunday.

"I was ready to commit my future to the club. All I wanted were talks about a new contract but each time we were due to sit down, the club postponed it. I was fobbed off. I wanted a new five-year contract at Arsenal. In the end I got one - at Barcelona.

"I had been trying for eight months to start talking about a new long-term deal but the club kept postponing me all the time, saying 'You have three years left'. I hadn't talked about money, I just wanted to sit down and discuss a new deal - I wanted to commit my career to the club I loved.

"Then out of the blue, Barcelona came in for me. And, suddenly, I was wanted by the biggest club in the world and they wanted to give me a five-year deal."



Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment