Monday, June 4, 2012

Euro 2012 Group Stage Predictions





OK so I know allot of you (none of you) have been wondering about MY picks for the upcoming Euro group stage.  Some may shock you (not really) and some may disappoint you (probably).  OK I'm done sorry, here's my picks:

Group A: Czech Republic, Greece, Poland, Russia - I guess this could be considered the "easy" group of Euro 2012 but it may turn out to be one of the most fun to watch.  Both Greece and the Czechs have both won the European Championship before.  Granted Czech Republic hasn't won since 1976 but with 2 third place finishes and one runner up trophy the Czech to me are the favorite out of this group.  I know Russia finished third in 2008 but I'm not convinced of their sides strength to win this group.

My Picks- Czech Republic win this group with Russia in the runner up spot.

Group B: Denmark, Germany, Portugal, The Netherlands - What a stacked group this is. I keep hearing about Group C being the "Group of Death' but I'm not so sure that this isn't going to be the toughest group to get out of.   Denmark have a young exciting team who will be looking to play spoilers to 3 of Europe's top teams. The Dutch have a few injury's but I don't think that will hinder them to much.

My Picks- I think this group is to close to call a winner.  My guess though is that Germany and The Netherlands go through but don't be shocked if the Portuguese pull an upset over one of them to advance. And look for Denmark to screw up someones Euro 2012.

Group C: Italy, Spain, Croatia, Ireland - I believe that this is the group that will have the most surprising outcome when the group stages are all said and done.  Ireland may feel like they have something to prove after what happened to them against France in World Cup Qualifiers for WC 2010.  Keene isn't getting any younger and this may be his last shot at doing something amazing for his country and I think they are the biggest unknown in this tournament.  Italy has not had a good run up to the start of Euro 2012.  They've dropped their last three friendlies and also lost an embarrassing game at home to the United States not all that long ago.  With all the trouble that Italian football is having domestically I wouldn't be shocked to see a performance reminiscent of France in the 2010 WC. Maybe not a complete meltdown like France had but I wouldn't be shocked if the Italians are left shaking their heads trying to figure out what happened when the dust settles.  Because of the slight disarray of Italy I think that if Croatia can have solid performances they may slip through. Although after watching Croatia against Norway the other day I'm not sure they can do that.

My Picks- Spain wins the group with Croatia in 2nd.

Group D: England, France, Sweden, Ukraine - This is a tough one to call.  France have a much improved and much changed side since the debacle in South Africa two years ago.  The young players from France may see this a coming out party of sorts while the veterans may see it as a way to exercise the demons of 2010.  England is a little bit of a question mark for me.  With a new manager in Roy Hodgson and young team there's no way tell what Euro 2012 hold for England.  I think there will be allot of pressure on Roy to perform and it will be interesting to see how the team responds.  With a veteran like Lampard being out and some older leadership gone (Ferdinand, also Rooney for the first 2 matches) it only puts more pressure on the young talent of this team to go win England's first European Championship.  Sweden however could slip by England into the runner up spot if they can take advantage of someones slip up.

My Picks- France win the group with England runner up.  But do note that I said that Sweden could surprise allot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment