Monday, February 4, 2013

USMNT roster for match against Honduras released





So we FINALLY got the US Men's National Team 24 man roster this morning and there are some interesting choices heading to Honduras.

Full roster here.

Most surprising to me are the addition of the two Brad's. I like the addition of Brad Davis to the midfield(even if ht does play for Houstank). He was one of the few players who impressed me in the Canada game and with Donovan clearly not in the plans for the US anymore, a replacement is going to be needed. I don't think he'll start over Zusi but he's a nice choice off of the bench for Klinsmann.

Brad Evans is another story in my opinion.  He was lack luster in the Canada game and while he's had some nice moments with the Sounders I'm just not sure how he fits in with this team.  I just haven't seen a lot out of him and I'm not sure he'll see much, if any, playing time during this Hex. I have a feeling he's only gotten the call up due to the injury of Brek Shea. Of course, believe it or not, I am wrong on occasion.

I'm glad to see that Timothy Chandler is coming back into the fold for the United States.  I know he was holding out hope for a shot at the German National Team but personally I'm glad he didn't get it. Having him tied up for the future will provide a big benefit for the USMNT over the coming years. With the defending core growing younger and younger I expect Chandler to be a staple on the back line for the foreseeable future.

One Klinsmann choice that continues to baffle me is the inclusion of Jose Torres. I get that JK wants to include more Hispanic players in his squads but what has Torres ever really done for the USMNT? His play has never been stellar and I can't ever remember him doing anything spectacular. Maybe those of you who follow Liga MX can fill me in on his performance for Tigres. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's nice to see Sacha Klejstan getting some well deserved credit for his great play in Belgium. I've always been a fan of SK and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) seeing him paired up with Michael Bradley in the deep midfield. Klejstan is a great player with superb linking ability and between he and Bradley the US has a very potent distribution network in the middle of the field. I'm hoping he gets the start but we'll have to wait and see. 

Don't forget to check out the match on beIn Sports on Wednesday at 3 pm CST.

I would love to hear from you guys about what your opinions of the roster are.

No comments:

Post a Comment